[Table of Contents]

arsclist Top vs. Bottom Posting

On 2002-12-14, Mike Richter opined [message unchanged below]:

> At 07:53 PM 12/14/2002 -0600, Premise Checker wrote:
> >Steve, where does the 1 MB per sound file come from?
>
> 32 Kbps => 250 KB per minute. At four minutes per sound file => 1 MB. That
> may not have been the logic used, but it is consistent with saving the
> audio in a reasonable format.
>
> NOTE: Please use bottom posting unless you have a compelling reason not to.
> It facilitates removing extraneous quotation and certainly encourages
> deleting the reduplicated ads.
>
> Mike
> mrichter@xxxxxxx
> http://www.mrichter.com/

Mike, I've never seen a format where bottom posting is best. This is true
of the UNIX programs, Pine for e-mail, trn and tin for newsgroups, and of
Outlook and Outlook Express for both. This issue has received a certain
amount of attention, and I recall that the Germans prefer bottom
posting but that most everyone else prefers top posting. We could take a
poll.

I use Pine and Lynx (for the web), since they are fastest. I can telnet
into my account from anywhere, too.

What I most dislike is the use of HTML in e-mails and failure to wrap
lines at, say, 72 characters. Also those who fail to strip off the
graphics and related junk when forwarding a webpage as e-mail.

Frank

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.