[Table of Contents]

[ARSCLIST] Ohio Art Punk talk

Title: Message
ARSC list members,

For those of you at the conference who took an interest in my talk, there is a surprising postscript
to it in that this email was waiting for me when I got back home. It reproduces a recent article from
CityBeat Cincinnati in which Darren Blase provides info about the Artpunk records he's re-releasing,
including mine. It is past my signature.

I really appreciated the warm welcome, fellowship and fun at this year's joint ARSC/SAM conference.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor
All Media Guide
1168 Oak Valley Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
U.S.A
davlew@xxxxxxxxxxxx

734 887 8145

One of Blase's most intriguing local projects is a proposed multiple
disc reissue of David Lewis' Hospital Records output (including some
cable access video footage) from the late '70s to the mid-'80s,
including such long-forgotten art-damaged entities like BPA, Dementia
Precox, 11,000 Switches and Teddy and the Frat Girls. Although the
original pressings from these bands were extremely limited and not
hugely popular at the time, interest has built to a fever pitch over
the mere suggestion that this material will see the light of day
again in the digital age.

"There are those early QIZZ singles produced by Bob Mothersbaugh from
Devo that are so good, they're amazing, but they only made 200 copies
of them and you can't get them anywhere," Blase says. "It was all
recorded at Group Effort (in Crescent Springs) and they still had all
the tapes. They never threw them away. It ended up they had some
unreleased stuff and they had six songs from Auto Glamour that never
came out. That's when it started going from doing this one CD thing
to 'You know what, let's create this complete document and just do
it.' (Distributors) Triage and Forced Exposure are just going apesh*t
over it."

With Blase, the "apesh*t" factor seems to be of primary importance.
He estimates that the label ultimately will lose money on the
Hospital release, but for him the loss is secondary to the fact that
the material will be simultaneously introduced to a new audience and
restored to its original audience.