[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

On 18/01/05, Rod Stephens wrote:

> I collect LP's and 1/4" prerecorded reel to reel tapes for my personal
> library. I offer the point of view that while these vary greatly in
> sound quality, the recordings of the 40's, 50's and 60's had the
> luxury of more time spent on producing better quality renditions of
> the music, whether popular or classical in nature. Many times, I want
> the recording for the performance and the artists, and the sound is
> generally secondary to the ultimate in sound. I do love the clean
> sound of massed strings whether they come from analog or digital
> sources. And, I've heard distortion and harshness from both types of
> recordings, so I guess we're all talking from very subjective points
> of view. I used to hate CD's and their sound, but in recent years,
> they seem to sound better, so maybe mastering and manufacturing
> techniques have improved. Of course, my hearing may have become "more
> forgiving" with age. It all seems to be very subjective, sonically,
> from what I've been reading on the list.

I don't think it is your hearing. I have a number of CDs in both 1980s
transfers (from analog tapes) and 2000s transfers. There has been a
marked and clearly audible improvement, which I associate with the use
of 24/96 converters, less jitter and better dithering.

The engineers may be taking more care over the tape decks, too.

Good CD players are also better than any available 15 years ago.

There is always room for bad judgement on equalisation and noise
reduction. Better studio equipment should help here.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx