From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Lindner
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:09 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Foam Flange Glue Removal

I recently learned something while at the NFTA in Australia - (formerly
Screensound). I had also removed the glue in an expensive and time consuming
process for years. We used Triclor at that time to do it. It did not do a
great job and took forever. At screensound they have been using Eucalyptus
Oil to remove the glue. I had my doubts when they told me this but then we
actually did a reel. The result was amazing - and I do not use "amazing"
often. The Eucalyptus oil absolutely dissolved the glue - it removed it from
both the foam on the flange and the tape. I expected the foam to be affected
and the tape edges as well. That was not the case. It just came off
incredibly cleanly and easily. You don't have to wind the tape and clean the
edges separately - it just all comes off. Now I realize this may sound like
an advert. For citrus miracle or something - but it isn't. They had to
experiment with a couple of different brands - one was a bit too aggressive
- but the demonstration I saw was incredibly impressive. The tape edges
looked great - certainly good enough for a playback. I just thought I would
pass it on. Give it a try Peter - you will be surprised.

jim

*
        Jim Lindner
*