[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] identifying acetate substrates

If you can't see even faintly through them, they're aluminum..you can also
(lightly!) tap your ring against the edge of the disc. Aluminum and glass discs
will have distinctly different sounds. I've also had many instances where
sleeves designated for glass based discs were used for aluminums, and I've seen
discs where "glass" was printed or typed on the label and then scratched out
(Audiodiscs, of course, didn't say "glass" on the label, leaving you to find out
the hard way). Some may even be steel based, made very early in the war years.
These are much heavier than conventional aluminum.

It's also been my experience that glass discs don't tend to show palmitic acid,
but maybe I've just been lucky.

Mike Biel, where are you?

dl