From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jerry McBride
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 6:21 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Letters on 4 minute cylinders

In looking at the 4-minute Edison cylinders, both the Gold Moulded and
the Amberols, we noticed that there is sometimes a letter preceding the
word, Patd, on the rim. Most of ours have an A, but there some that are
B, M, and K. Does anyone happen to know what the significance of these
letters are?

Is it possible that it has something to do with the cutting or playback
stylus?

--
Jerry McBride, Head Librarian
Music Library and Archive of Recorded Sound

Jerry.McBride@xxxxxxxxxxxx
650-725-1146
650-725-1145 (fax)