[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Piston Symphony #2

I'm entering this exchange somewhat late. Perhaps I can put this subject to bed.

Please note the following:

1. Koussevitzky did not conduct the Piston 2nd with the BSO (or ever, TTBOMK)

2. During Koussevitzky's lifetime, only G. Wallace Woodworth conducted the BSO in that work. See the data for the April 8, 1944 broadcast in context at:

http://www.koussevitzky.com/Html/BSO_1944.html

(Please excuse the unfinished state of the web site. I'll finish it someday.)

3. The Woodworth performance survives in several forms. Perhaps Roger has the OWI 4 disc (7 sides) vinyl 12" 78rpm set of this. I have it. See:

http://www.mostyn.com/Piston_2nd_GWW_BSO.jpg

It was also circulated by the Armed Forces Radio Service on 16" vinyls AFRS BSO #44.

I also have the broadcast on ABC/Blue Network 16" glass-base acetate linechecks, as well as a DAT copy of a set of Muzak 16" transcriptions, from a transfer that I made in the 1960s.

Please note that Koussevitzky did conduct and broadcast the Piston 3rd Symphony with the BSO. This has had a lot of circulation, especially as part of the Boston Symphony Transcription Trust series "The Art of Serge Koussevitzky." There is also a broadcast rehearsal as well as a private in-hall recording of a performance contemporary with the rehearsal broadcast.

Kevin Mostyn

Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: I'll say it again,I cannot recall which work is on my record,and I have other things to do rght now,than look fr it.It may bethe symphony #1,for all I know.

                                         Roger

Don Tait  wrote: Roger,

  Please respond to my messages with specific facts. All right?

   What do you have of the Piston Symphony?

  Do you have discs of a live performance recording of Piston's Symphony no.
2 during the 1940s?

  You claimed that you did, Roger.

  Please post the details. Koussevitzky [note the spelling of his name] never
conducted this music. YES??

  I think the collector community is always eager to welcome a good newcomer,
 but this stuff from you gives you a black eye, Roger. Plus your posts
addressing members as "silly."

  Don Tait, who's been a collector since 1957 and hopes to never stop
learning  from his peers....

**************************************

Don.

Like I said,I'm not sure if this is the #2 or not.It is definitely a Piston piece.If you have a database of all of Koussevitsky's broadcasts,you can probably find out what piece it is sooner than I can.I would imagine the BSO  has a complete recorded concert library,either on disc or tape.

I have a huge record collection.I am always losing track of stuff.I  have about thirty  records I was going to loan to Baylor University for their gospel music project.The 45s,and 78s I can locate,but there are six exceedingly obscure 60s vocal group Lps,on Song Bird and Savoy I own.These are Lps that Malaco and Universal have no master tapes,and in one case,no documentation on.That's great,but I now cannot find these records,and I am starting to get worried about it.

If you used to buy from Dave Canfield,when he ran Ars Antqua,you know he used to sell records like this Koussevitsky all the time.Now nobody does.

                                             Roger

Don Tait  wrote: Roger,

  You have written before about this Koussevitzky/BSO recording of Piston's
Symphony no. 2 that you claim to have. You have been asked for more details
about it in the past, as Karl Miller recently did again, and you have never
responded.

  Please do.

  If you have this, it is an important document, as I think Karl has made
clear. And as he has also made clear, Koussevitzky never conducted the symphony.

  Please give details. Please explain.

  RCA Victor's "Vault Treasures" LP series was introduced in November, 1956.
The Koussevitzky "LVT" to which you are referring is LVT-1016 -- Harris's
Symphony no. 3 and Hanson's Symphony no. 3. It was a conversion from Victor
LCT-1153.

  Please explain about your reported recording of Koussevitzky/BSO in
Piston's Symphony no. 2. Many of us look forward to your response.

  Don Tait