From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Prentice, Will
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:45 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Komitas

hi Dave

My area of discographical knowledge is so narrow I'm rarely called on to
share it, but you've just landed on the magic square, so I hope you're
sitting comfortably:

In a nutshell, there are no cyl recordings on the CD, and the 1912 date
is at least partially wrong.

The Trad Crossroads CD("The Voice of Komitas") breaks down as follows:
Tracks 1-6: recorded by the Gramophone Company in May 1909. 8 solo
Komitas (voc) sides and one duet with Vagan Ter Arakelyan were made,
with all but 2 of the solo sides being issued soon after. They were
recorded either in Alexandropol (Gyumri today) or Etchmiadzin - the disc
labels are ambiguous.
Tracks 7-10 (exc 8?): from a set of 20 sides released by
Blumenthal/Orfeon. Komitas (pno), Armenak Shah Muradian (voc). No date
or location, but labels are in French and ASM is described as being "de
l'Opera de paris". I've seen one disc in the set with a dealer sticker
on it, showing a Constantinople address.
Tracks 11-15 (+8?): released by US Columbia, rec NY, 1917-18 (see EMOR
for details). Armenak Shah Muradian (voc). I've seen nothing to suggest
Komitas plays on the Columbia sides.

Some of the GramCo and Orfeon sides were reissued on vinyl by Melodiya
at different times, usually with the date 1912 on them.

Regards

Will Prentice
British Library Sound Archive

Dave Lewis wrote:

Can anyone give me a little detail about the provenance of the cylinders
made by
Komitas in Paris in 1912? Mainly what I'd like to know if these were
made available
commerically as cylinders or were recorded privately and belong to a
collection. The
Traditional Crossroads CD release is unclear on the matter - they just
identify the
recordings as "cylinders."

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental
language in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives

**

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07
: www.bl.uk/mylibrary

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

*

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.

*