[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] Shamrock 041 Manufacturing Specs?

Much of Shamrock 0XX  series tape was reslit computer/instrumentation tape, or govt spec tape made by Ampex that didnt meet spec.
Thats the reason for the various oxide and backing found from reel to reel.
The 1.5 mil black oxide with/wo back coating was computer stock, used by main frame computers for data storage. This was original 1/2 x 10" stock.
1.0 mil was instrumentation tape, usually  after being used for one pass date downloads. Govt policy was not to erase tape, use new to avoid any contamination of new data by previous data that didnt get erased.
The navy contract was mostly for  brown oxide in 1/4" audio formats on 10"plastic reels.
.5 mil with shinny black oxide was from 10"x1" or 14"x1" instrumentation tape. This shinny  tape often lacked low frequency response as in  instrumentation use a 15/30 ips tape speed was used and the data stream didnt  hold any lo-freqs.
How do I know this? I worked for DAK industries buying, grading, overseeing  the resliting  operation with stock from the same sources used in much of the Shamrock product.  We often bought Shamrock over stock and reboxed it as DAK tape.
In the early tape days nothing went to waste... there was always a use for bulk stock and bargain hunters who wanted something to talk back to them at a bargain price.
The laugh of the industry was a certain tape coater in Los Angeles that would buy the surplus Mother Cookies cellophane bag stock with the purple Mothers   printing on the back side of the tape.
Ahh  the fun days of long ago.
dnward