[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] Balkanton Records - Still In Existence?

Thanks to all who replied. I had been aware of Gega/Gega New but had assumed they were a wholly separate operation (which it seems they are). All signs led to Balkanton's demise in the late 90s, until I received the definitive answer from Suze Stentz of the East European Folklife Center list, via Joel (thanks!) -- copied here for all who are interested.

Best,
Aaron

Hello guys,

As of June 2008, Balkanton is still alive and as well as can be, given the economic situation. We saw the Balkanton ladies in a pastry cafe, although we had no shopping to do. B'ton has no web presence that we know of; still in their original location in Sofia. They issue new CDs occasionally but mostly of the compilation variety.

Balkanton is located at No.6 Haidoushka Polyana St, Sofia BG
email: balkanton@xxxxxxxxx and balkanton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[copy to both because email addresses are fleeting]

The folks that interact with customers only speak Bulgarian, but there's probably someone there who reads English. Somewhere in my notes, I might have a phone number, but I feel sure that conversation would be in Bulgarian.

Of GegaNew, who replaced Gega, I'd say they are a more modern rival company (colleague company??) with better financial resources to make new productions, but who also specialize as Balkanton does, in classic music, with a sideline of folk offerings.There have always been 3-4 other flourishing companies in Sofia, each with a small number of folk titles, as well as companies in other BG cities.