To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] take numbers on emerson records

James, George Dick et al.

Thanks for your help here. Every company is different, but I'm always skeptical that I'm misinterpreting the data if I find too many alternate takes (except Edison). Above about 10% in a given run of 78s like Emerson where I don't know the system used for designating takes, I usually question if what I think are take numbers are stamper numbers or something.

I've never really relied on aural comparison (though it is obvious in some cases, see: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr%201=1020&query=cylinder4373&num=1&start=1&sortBy=&sortOrder=id) . I don't trust my ears enough to detect the often slight variations between takes. In the acoustic era it's not exactly like different versions of The Dead doing Dark Star (though many would say these all sound the same too, I suppose), but aural memory is notoriously unreliable.

My method is usually to lay the edge of a piece of paper across the center hole of the disc and mark the beginning and end of the grooves. Then I lay this paper on the other disc and see if they match. Even if one take is only a few seconds shorter or longer it will be obviously different as even a couple of grooves difference is noticable.

I'm sure George's method works too, but the paper and pencil method is very quick and we are essentially measuring the same thing in different ways.

David