[Table of Contents]

Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

Hi Jim et al,

What this IT guy was getting at, was that if you shelve a HD, the disc will eventually lose its' magnetism, unless you spin it up from time to time. I have heard this once before, perhaps it is just FUD, as Richard mentioned, but I would like to know if there Is any truth to it?

Best,

Alyssa.

Moderators Comment:
No, there is no truth to that other then perhaps considering earths'
magnetic field over centuries - or a more likely culprit are those
really strong magnets placed on some bookends used on library
shelving..... - but there are other more important reasons not to
consider shelving a HD and trying to recover the data years later as I
detailed in my moderators comment to Jim Wheeler the other day.

I would suggest to all interested to learn a bit about coercively and
magnetic recording. It is covered in any decent book on recording
technology or magentics. It is a fundamental concept in this area. What
is coercivity you ask??
coercivity SYLLABICATION: co.er.civ.i.ty NOUN: The intensity of the magnetic field needed to reduce the
magnetization of a ferromagnetic material to zero after it has reached
saturation

Hard Drives have high coercivity - so it will take a strong magnetic
field in close proximity for a period of time to really cause a problem.