Subject: Dead Sea Scrolls & cellophane tape

Dead Sea Scrolls & cellophane tape

From: Peter Graham <psgraham>
Date: Monday, May 17, 1993
>From LC Info Bulletin April 19, 1993, p. 165, from article on the
current LC exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls:

"Conservators at the Israel Antiquities Authority have also had to deal
with the ravages of previous attempts at "restoration," notably the use
of cellophane tape on the fragments.  "There has been a major effort by
the conservation team in Israel to remove those tapes," said Ms.
Hamburg.  'I think people didn't realize in the 1950s, when probably a
lot of the tape was applied, how the material changes over time.  We see
stains on some of the scrolls, and the [tape] residues can be very
difficult to remove."

So don't feel so bad about the tape on your early comic book collection.
You think *you* have problems.  --pg

Peter S. Graham      Rutgers University Libraries          (908) 932-5908
169 College Avenue   New Brunswick, N. J. 08903       Fax: (908) 932-5888

                                  ***
                  Conservation DistList Instance 6:60
                   Distributed: Monday, May 17, 1993
                        Message Id: cdl-6-60-003