Subject: Acrysol WS-24

Acrysol WS-24

From: Stephen Koob <koobs<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 1997
I discovered Acrysol WS-24 (also known as Primal WS-24 in Europe)
when I was a student at the Institute of Archaeology in London, in
1978.  I first published and recommended its use in the Conservation
literature in 1981 in a paper given at the Ninth Annual Meeting of
AIC in Philadelphia, published in the 1981 Preprints.  Prior to that
I had completed my dissertation on the "Consolidation of
archaeological bone in the field", which is available from the
Institute of Archeology on microfiche, copyright 1980.

My primary reason for selecting WS-24 was for use on the bulk
treatment of archaeological bone, but I suggest you obtain a copy of
the dissertation for numerous other reasons, and issues which
request information about: ease of application, dilutability,
viscosity, strength, durability, low cost, low toxicity, no fire
hazard, sensitivity to pH changes, other types of colloidal
dispersions, etc.

As you probably know, WS-24 has also been used for the treatment of
other materials from glass to mudbrick, with varying success.
Numerous other acrylic colloidal dispersions are manufactured, but I
have found WS-24 to be the most dependable.  The shelf life and
durability seem to be exemplary for a water-based acrylic.  I still
have solutions from the 1980's which have not settled out nor
discolored, and test films on glass slides, which have not
discolored and are easily soluble in acetone.  I am currently
writing a Conservation Note (occasional publication of the Materials
Conservation Laboratory, Texas Memorial Museum) on its use in the
field.

For further information, please contact me directly at
koobst<-a t->asia< . >si< . >edu

                                  ***
                  Conservation DistList Instance 10:96
                    Distributed: Monday, May 5, 1997