Subject: Packing wet books

Packing wet books

From: Soren Ibsen <soren.ibsen>
Date: Monday, May 3, 1999
Gillian Boal <gboal [at] library__berkeley__edu> writes

>Quick and Easy packing for freezing? We have just had a medium flood
>in our Public Health Library. We had to pack and freeze dry 1200
>books.

I hope you already now have frozen all the books. In 1980 I had to
handle approximately 1400 wet books. The books were stored on
bookshelves and expanded as they became wet.  The bookshelves
together with the books were immediately taken to a freezer in the
premises.  You can read more about the process at:
<URL:http://www.ub.ntnu.no/fakbib/gunnerus/kleist2.htm> or if you
have Paper Conservation News no. 87 p 12-13.

If it's not possible to freeze the books together with the shelves,
I would just pack them in cardboard boxes as they stand on the
shelves, then the books can be freeze dried in a vacuum-chamber
together with the boxes.

As an alternative to freeze drying there is an article in Paper
Conservation News no.89 p 12-13 about vacuum-packing as a method for
drying wet books. I have not tried this method, but it seems very
interesting.

Soren Ibsen
Book- and paperrestorer
University Library of Trondheim