Subject: Private practice in institutional lab

Private practice in institutional lab

From: Anne Lane <alane>
Date: Monday, January 8, 2001
One of the thoughts being bandied about our institution right now is
the concept of establishing a dual-duty conservation lab as part of
a proposed new storage facility in a renovated school building. The
proposal is to hire a staff conservator who, in addition to caring
for our own stuff, would take on private commissions using the same
facility. Has anyone tried this arrangement, and would you be
willing to share whether it worked or didn't work and why? I also
wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who has thought of or rejected the
idea, and why. I would also like to hear some ideas about the amount
of space we would need to set aside for this, and any advice about
contracts and record-keeping. Or anything else I haven't mentioned
but should have.

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
York County Culture and Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC 29732
803-329-2121, ext. 104

                                  ***