Subject: Storing saddles

Storing saddles

From: William L. Hopkins <whopkins>
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2002
We have recently acquired a number of western saddles that are old
but in reasonably good condition.  The question we are now faced
with is how to properly long term store these items.  We are not a
museum and do not intend to exhibit the items on a regular basis,
but the saddles will be available to researchers and so must be
retrievable within a moderate time.  I would appreciate any advice
or recommendations on how to care for these artifacts and avoid
damaging them while in storage.

William L. Hopkins
Coordinator, Archival Services
American Heritage Center