Subject: HEPA vacuum cleaners

HEPA vacuum cleaners

From: Valoise Armstrong <valoise.armstrong>
Date: Monday, May 24, 2004
Iona McCraith <iona.mccraith [at] sympatico__ca> writes

>I am considering purchasing a vacuum with HEPA filter for cleaning
>artefacts and archival collections with heavy dust or mould. I have
>been looking at the Nilfisk GM80, which I have previously used and
>liked and another model the 3M Portable 1 HP Motor Vacuum, which
>also has a Type 1 HEPA filter.  I would like to hear from anyone who
>has used either or both these models. ...

We have been using the Nilfisk and have been very happy with it.  In
addition to the variable suction, we have found the narrow extension
tube and small brush to work remarkably well in cleaning dirt from
the interior of rolled items prior to rehumidification.  The gentle
suction allows us to remove the grime from the center of the brittle
rolls without any damage.

Valoise Armstrong
Archivist
NARA-Pacific Alaska Region (Seattle)