Subject: Classifying resins

Classifying resins

From: Agnes Gall-Ortlik <gallortlik>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2004
Isabel Herraez <isabel.herraez [at] iphe__mcu__es> writes

>I am looking for articles regarding classification of products used
>in conservation, mainly resins. I do recall reading that some
>products belonged to different groups (A: 100 years, B: 75, C: 50,
>etc.) depending on their ageing characteristics, reversibility,
>unexpected changes, etc. ...

I know of a paper that uses the type of classification you remember:

    Feller (R.L.)
    "Standards in the Evaluation of Thermoplastic Resins" in ICOM-CC
    5th Triennial Meeting, Zagreb, 1978, p. 78-16-4/1-11.

Based on the blue wool test (Photostability, ISO Recommendation R105
Blue-wool scale), it gives the following classification: A for
Excellent materials (greater than 100 years of intended useful
lifetime); B for Intermediate (20 to 100 years); C for Unstable or
Fugitive (less than 20 years) and T for Temporary contact (less than
6 months).

Two other papers regarding the Oddy Test give the following
classification for materials used in storage and display cases: P
for Permanent use; T for Temporary use; and U for Unsuitable.

    Green (L.R.), Thickett (D.)
    "Testing Materials for Use in the Storage and Display of
    Antiquities. A Revised Methodology" in Studies in Conservation,
    vol. 40, n deg. 3, 1995, p. 145-152.

    Bamberger (J.A.), Howe (E.G.), Wheeler (G.)
    "A Variant Oddy Test Procedure for Evaluating Materials Used in
    Storage and Display Cases" in Studies in Conservation, vol. 44,
    n deg.2, 1999, p. 86-90.

Hope this  helps in some way,

Agnes Gall Ortlik
Conservation-restauration du Patrimoine. Ceramique, verre et email
38,rue Ramey F-75018 Paris
+33 0 142551342
Sant Eusebi 52 S-08006 Barcelona
+34 932006570
+34 625609429

                                  ***
                  Conservation DistList Instance 18:25
                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004
                       Message Id: cdl-18-25-002
                                  ***