Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore>
Date: Friday, September 29, 2006
Juliette Baxter <jbaxter [at] northamptonshire__gov__uk> writes

>We are looking to install dataloggers to record environmental
>conditions. The two most common makes in the UK seem to be Hanwell
>and Tinytag. Can anyone suggest pros and cons, based on experience,
>for these and other makes?

Although my own experience of Tinytag dataloggers is limited (9
months experience so far), they are more flexible than other systems
in that environmental data can be downloaded from miles away so if
you have remote storage or museum displays with sensitive objects, a
Tinytag is probably your best option.  The initial cost is high of
course, each tag costing around UKP100, but bulk purchases can
always be negotiable.  Batteries last for 3 years, then need
replacing and you need to become familiar with the software. Gemini,
who make them, are always helpful to sort out glitches and teething
problems. The system can be gradually expanded as desired. I have no
experience with Hanwell.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences
Hampshire County Council