Subject: Ad Reinhardt's "Black Painting, 1960-66"

Ad Reinhardt's "Black Painting, 1960-66"

From: Bonnie Naugle <bnaugle<-at->
Date: Friday, November 1, 2013
The following is posted on behalf of Sjors Koevoets, Dutch
journalist:

    I am a journalist for Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant.  I'm
    looking for the conservation history [before its 2000 donation
    to the museum] of a particular painting.  It's called Black
    Painting 1960-1966.  It's now owned by the Guggenheim Museum.
    See:

        <URL:http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/collections/conservation/conservation-projects/axa-reinhardt>

    The information I have from AXA is: In the 1990' AXA paid a
    claim for Black Painting 1960-66. The fragile surface of the
    painting had been marred by scratches, abrasions, and even one
    stain during transit to an exhibition. The damages were treated
    by conservators, but the end result was considered unsuccessful.
    The painting was deemed a total loss. AXA Art paid the owner the
    agreed-upon value of the painting and put it into storage.

    From the Guggenheim: When Reinhardt' Black Painting, 1960-66
    entered the study collection of the Guggenheim Museum, there
    were scant records of the painting's exhibition and conservation
    history, though cursory reports suggested that at least three
    restorations had been undertaken since the painting entered a
    private collection prior to 1983.

    Does anybody know:

        When and where this painting was exhibited (and damaged)?
        Who was the private collector?
        How, when and by who the damages were treated?
        Where can I find the reports?

    My deadline is next Wednesday or Thursday, Nov 6-7, 2013

    Sjors Koevoets
    sjors.koevoets<-at->volkskrant<.>nl
    Arts department De Volkskrant
    +31 205622592